He absolutely loves planes. It was awesome to hear him give us some information about what he did, where he was, and what happened.
This plane was the P-47, but he said it wasn't the one
he actually flew because there was other models
and they don't have that one at Hill.
This was the type of plane when Grandpa was shot down over Belgium. We asked him what happened to the plane, he said they had to bury it. Hmm, anyone want to go to Belgium to recover a plane probably worth millions? He did manage to salvage a piece of the plane and had stowed it away in one of his flight jackets for many years. It wasn't until a couple of years ago, my uncle found it in his pocket. Later, my uncle had it framed with the dirt and presented it to my Grandpa!
Ok, so there was a little bit of confusion when I shot this footage. Grandpa thought it was the P-51 that he was shot down in, but it was actually the P-47, but I still like to watch it anyway!
I didn't get all of his reaction when we came upon the P-38, I was a little late, but at least I got some of it!
This is the P-51. From what I gather, this was his favorite! I may be a little off, but...just a hunch!
Me, Grandpa, and Curt (my bro).
The woman talking with Grandpa is PJ, she is the person we owe a BIG thank you to. She is the one who made it possible for him to come on his field trip. Also, Grandpa was such an HONORED guest, he was given special permission to touch the planes. No one else could!Of course, I cannot forget the "LOVE BIRDS!"
My Grandpa is amazing. All in all, this was a great trip! Like I said before.....IT WAS AN HONOR to be there with him and IS an honor to be his granddaughter! I would not have missed this for the world!
1 comment:
What special memories. I am glad you could go & spend some time with him. All my grandpa's died before I was born. You are such a lucky person, That him for his service for me!
Post a Comment