



Here is my office at School. I have been super busy at work the last few weeks. I teach lessons to 34 classes (1/2 hour each) every week, keeping up with conferences, meetings, trainings, and doing individuals. I feel like I have been holding my breath by day end! Oh, not to mention I am the chair of Student Council and I am on the Local Case Management team, which is a group that is a support staff to help the teachers with interventions for students with behavior and/or academic difficulties. My day is always jam packed, but luckily I do not sit in front of a computer all day long, which would allow my behind to take form of the chair! Nope, I basically take laps around the school all day, running from class to class to teach another life skill lesson to the students. So, lately that has been my form of exercise!
Hmmm. I love my job, but believe it or not, it gets hard....when I let it. I am the type of person that doesn't bring home the work baggage. When I am at home, I leave work at work. When I am at work, I work...I really am pretty good at focusing on work. I consider myself a very dedicated person and want to do well at what I do, this is why it will be difficult for me to explain this without sounding negative. After-all, I am the school counselor and it seems like there is a stigma that says school counselors don't have a negative bone in their body or appear like they have no stress of their own. At least that is the feeling I get from others. I don't think I could express how important it is to have school counselors in the schools. To adults, the kids' issues seem so small. But to the kids, its their life! My job is to help those kids cope with their problems by figuring out the problem out for themselves, but with me as a guide to help them do that. Then there are those students that have more to deal with than I could ever have imagined anyone having to go through.
Student Leadership Conference, November 5th, 2008:
Today, I went with the officers of student council to the Student Leadership Conference. It was pretty darn good! There were lots of speakers, Jason Hewlett, John Bytheway, and Brad Barton. All three were phenomenal at sending a great message to the students and myself. John Bytheway is such a great motivational speaker, you will never forget anything he has to say. He teaches that it is important to watch out for what you put in your backpack. You can make the trail much harder than it really is, if you keep loading it up with negativity. There are a couple of individuals in my life that I really wish they could hear his message....it would really benefit them tremendously!
Student Government Blog:
I also created another blog for student council advisors as a resource for new advisors starting out or experienced advisors without ideas. Check it out at www.studentsservingstudents.blogspot.com. Feel free to leave a comment if you have any ideas of your own, regardless if you are an advisor or not!
Hmmm. I love my job, but believe it or not, it gets hard....when I let it. I am the type of person that doesn't bring home the work baggage. When I am at home, I leave work at work. When I am at work, I work...I really am pretty good at focusing on work. I consider myself a very dedicated person and want to do well at what I do, this is why it will be difficult for me to explain this without sounding negative. After-all, I am the school counselor and it seems like there is a stigma that says school counselors don't have a negative bone in their body or appear like they have no stress of their own. At least that is the feeling I get from others. I don't think I could express how important it is to have school counselors in the schools. To adults, the kids' issues seem so small. But to the kids, its their life! My job is to help those kids cope with their problems by figuring out the problem out for themselves, but with me as a guide to help them do that. Then there are those students that have more to deal with than I could ever have imagined anyone having to go through.
Student Leadership Conference, November 5th, 2008:
Today, I went with the officers of student council to the Student Leadership Conference. It was pretty darn good! There were lots of speakers, Jason Hewlett, John Bytheway, and Brad Barton. All three were phenomenal at sending a great message to the students and myself. John Bytheway is such a great motivational speaker, you will never forget anything he has to say. He teaches that it is important to watch out for what you put in your backpack. You can make the trail much harder than it really is, if you keep loading it up with negativity. There are a couple of individuals in my life that I really wish they could hear his message....it would really benefit them tremendously!
Student Government Blog:
I also created another blog for student council advisors as a resource for new advisors starting out or experienced advisors without ideas. Check it out at www.studentsservingstudents.blogspot.com. Feel free to leave a comment if you have any ideas of your own, regardless if you are an advisor or not!
No comments:
Post a Comment